The Fears Watch Company Limited is one of Britain's oldest family-run watch companies.
Our history begins in 1846, during Queen Victoria's first decade on the throne, when a young watchmaker named Edwin Fear opened a watchmaking workshop and showroom on Redcliff Street, Bristol.
The business ran until the 1970s when it was closed and after 40 years (and two generations) laying dormant it was re-established by Edwin Fear's great-great-great-grandson in 2016.
This is our story...
A young 22-year-old watchmaker named Edwin Fear establishes a workshop and showroom at No. 33-35 Redcliff Street in Bristol.
1st Managing Director
Edwin Fear acquires No. 4 Bristol Bridge at the end of Redcliff Street and moves the headquarters to this new location.
Following the death of Edwin Fear, the business is handed down to his son Amos Daniel Fear, who at 21 begins to expand the business.
Amos Daniel Fear
2nd Managing Director
Fears celebrates its half-centenary
Fears is incorporated as a limited company and changes its name from 'Edwin Fear' to 'Fear's Limited'. The apostrophe is dropped in the early 1930s.
The business establishes an Export department, called 'Fears (Export) Limited' at No. 14 Brunswick Square in Bristol. Within a few years Fears is exporting to 95 countries worldwide.
Following the death of father, Amos Reginald Fear takes over the business.
Amos Reginald Fear
3rd Managing Director
All Fears' premises are sadly hit during the Bristol Blitz. When the Second World War is over, the business relocates from the city centre to Clifton.
Fears celebrates its centenary
Amos Reginald Fear celebrates his half-centenary working in the business, after which Fears begins to wind down.
Fears closes its doors.
Fears is re-established by the 6th generation of the Fear family and releases its first wristwatch in the twenty-first century - the Redcliff.
4th Managing Director
Fears releases its first new mechanical wristwatch - the Brunswick.
Fears to open its first showroom since the 1940s in Canterbury, Kent - opening April